Charlotte vs. The World
Friday, December 17, 2004
  Gay Marriage vs. Traditional Marriage The solution to this problem is simple: what is the POINT of being married? It’s something that society has generally taken very seriously for a very long time. It seems to be quite universally accepted as a man and a woman.

Why is this relatively universal?

Why hasn’t Gay Marriage been tried before?

These questions need to be answered. I’m no sociologist, just a bitch with a weblog, so the best I can do is write down what I think.

The 20th century saw genuine steps forward in making men equal to women. There have been other points in history where men and women were more or less equal, and one could certainly argue that influence women held made up for lack of genuine rights (indeed, wars were fought over women, how much more influence do you want?). But the 20th century went a long way in establishing that men and women are equally people.

Before this equalisation, women were frequently seen as property; first of their fathers, then of their husbands. Marriage was a partnership, but the ‘obey’ clause clearly indicated who was the senior partner.

Now that women have achieved equality with men, it seems they are now interchangeable with men (and vice versa).

That’s why it’s never happened before: women have never had enough status that they could be supplanted by a man: it wouldn’t make sense for one man to turn over all his assets to another. But now that’s not an issue.

Marriage has been watered down, thanks to divorce, pre-nuptial agreements, common-law arrangements. Gay marriage isn’t wrecking anything, the Traditional Definition of Marriage has already been wrecked!

Marriage is now the joining of equals, who can choose to end the joining!

If we want to end gay marriage, we can only do it by stripping away women’s rights.

THAT, my dear readers, is a bad idea.

So, I’m in support of Gay Marriage, because it is the sign that women are 100% equal with men.
 
Comments:
What?! You're neglecting your odyssey blog to post this kind of stuff? Come on, Char! Political opinion blogs are a dime a dozen (and generally achieve little more than to demonstrate the limited world view of the authors as they 'weigh in' on hot topics and oversimplify them to absurdity). Nobody cares. Female feeder blogs, on the other hand, are extremely rare and cool. Why would you give up on being a net trailblazer to be just like everybody else?
 
1) Since I'm not actively a female feeder, it's tough to write about.

While I started my Odyssey to keep track of my personal life, right now... I just don't feel like writing about it. Mostly, I've been torn. I was having fun, but I was having fun without Ian. I felt guilty, and didn't really want to write about that. Also, Shelley and I talk about 'current events' in the car, so it's more on my mind anyway.

2) Damn right I'm ignorant/uninformed. I have two choices: 1 - continue to remain uninformed or 2 - express my opinions, and hope that someone can set me straight. Short of actually doing hours of research on anything that strikes my fancy, I can do this. I would hope that when someone sees what a silly girl I'm being, they might make an effort to set me straight. If not, I have no choice but to assume I'm right ;-)
 
You make some interesting points and are a fascinating woman. However, I can also say that your other blog is sorely missed.

Perhaps when you get to spend more time with Ian you'll consider getting back to it.

~ An Admiring Fan
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
These are my ideas. Love them or hate them, but never ignore them.

Name:
Location: Canada
ARCHIVES
October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / January 2006 / March 2007 /


Powered by Blogger